Thursday, October 2, 2008

One, Uno, Un, Ein, Um


Lola turned 1 a few days back and I still can't believe it has been a year already. I still remember meeting her for the first time -- they wheeled me still in bed to meet her, maybe it was in the NICU maybe in a dream, I can't be certain. A nurse placed her on my chest and I did my best to hold onto her. Both of us drifting in and out of sleep and I knew I would never be the same.

In the past year she has made us laugh, made us nervous, made us swell up with pride, made a big brother out of Riley and honestly made us a family.

Eating is high on the list of her favorite things to do. She *loves* to eat. Tops on the list are blueberries, hummus/pita and pretty much anything you put down in front of her. She is standing, but not quite ready to walk. Crawling is so much faster and efficient, you know. She can sign our version of the word "more", says "duck, duck, duck", "hi", "bye-bye", night-night is a backwards wave and blows kisses when you say you love her.

She had a great weekend -- it was perfect. We had a lovely time with our visitors from St. Louis. Thank you to all those that made the trip.

It's hard to believe the panic and fear that surrounded her birth has given way to such a calm, funny and genuinely sweet little girl. We are so blessed. Happy Birthday, baby girl!

1 comment:

Erin said...

We celebrate with you and your adorable little pumpkin-head! Happy Birthday lil' Lola! Glad you had a good time. Auntie Erin sure does miss you and your brudder.